[opendtv] Tracking Video Multicast Viewers

  • From: David Devereaux-Weber <ddevereauxweber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:43:40 -0600

Here at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, we have built an IP video
system we call the Digital Academic Television Network
<http://datn.wisc.edu/>.  For the channels we get from the cable TV
company, we use a locally-scoped IP multicast address.  The router
does not forward these, so they can only be viewed on the campus.
However, the channel from the Journalism Department uses a
globally-scoped address, so should be viewable elsewhere on the
multicast-enabled net.

The benefit of IP multicast is that it scales to large numbers of
viewers without increasing server or network load.  The drawback of IP
multicast is that the server doesn't know who is watching.

So I am looking for advice: how can we track viewershi of IP multicast video?

Dave Devereaux-Weber