[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:53:46 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>> Well, interesting a hypothesis as that might be, it doesn't
>> explain why LG doesn't sell its best working solution to
>> other OEMs,
>
> They have.  Bob Miller brought two of them to test at my
> apartment.  Four companies' circuit cards were promoted by
> LG at CES last year.  But it appears that the OEM's don't
> want to spend on the type of front end that might make them
> work.

And why is that? If these same companies have told Congress
they can make boxes that work well for $50, what's the holdup?
Is someone begging them not to make them right? (I hate to
sound like a conspiracy theorist.)

> Do they?  Samsung tested their latest box at my apartment.
> It would not work with a set-top antenna as LG's did.

Perhaps, but that has never been a criterion in my book
anyway. We use OTA NTSC from an indoor antenna upstairs now,
and I can't put the antenna directly on top of that TV
either. I don't see this as a valid pass/fail test, frankly.
If window placement, or in our case higher up placement, is
enough to receive all channels in the market with indoor
antenna, that's good news.

> All of the pre-2005 boxes and sets out there.

Still on store shelves, I assume you mean? That's a problem
that LG is helping to perpetuate. How aggravating.

The *NORM* with obsolete products is for stores to discount
heavily while they market the better new products. Is this
just another example of FOTA equipment not being allowed to
do what every single other CE product does?