[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Nick Kocsis" <kocsis_nick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 15:01:28 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug McDonald" <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 12:07 PM
Subject: [opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

Doug McDonald wrote:

> Bob, your are simply beionfg silly and a ranting kook.

I have looked in the dictionary and cannot find  "beionfg" anywhere.   I
think you meant a state of "being".    I am betting that your state of being
is as a VSB-phobiac and that you believe as dogma that  ATSC is a product of
"Intelligent Design".   Before tearing down the character of  posters on
this list you should take a hard look at yourself in a mirror.

Obviously you don't believe in "Evolution of the Species" or any kind of
immediate change in your biased delusional world order.    Your 'supposed'
evolutionary timeline is nothing more than denial of change with the purpose
of  extending the life of VSB.  If technical improvements to DTV aren't
implemented NOW after seven years of frustration with ATSC you can look
forward to its going down the road of extinction, like the DODO bird that
could not master the art of flying.

> The US will NEVER chenge to MPEG4, nor add it to MPEG2. It may indeed
> someday add COFDM to ATSC, but not MPEG4, for free OTA use on the
> channels 2-51. Someday a new type improved service will be added,
> well after the analog cutoff, but it won't be DVB-T o DVB-H, nor ISDB,
> noe any form of MPEG-2 or 4.

Doug,  I  will not likely see any improved service following your suggested
time line (in my lifetime).  My guess is that our own CRTC will decide that
following a U.S. analog cutoff and sticking to ATSC is the sure route to OTA
DTV oblivion.   To those of us who get their U.S. content via cable and
satellite (most) it hardly matters.   For those who adopt those hand held or
PC based receivers, it will definitely make a difference and it is in this
service that COFDM will replace analog (in Canada, at least and more likely
in the U.S. as well).   I have heard via the grapevine that there is
something of that sort  in the works at this very moment.

>It will likely be COFDM of some sort ...

If that is your conclusion why would it not be implemented  NOW instead of
waiting another 7 years for a flawed VSB modulation system to be improved.
My time is short.   I have no confidence that 8VSB can in any way be made to
work as effectively as COFDM now or in the future.

> but the coding will be MPEG-5 or MPEG-6 or some US-specific newer
> form of coding. The error correction system will also be some advanced
> sort with no current name. That's how far in the future.

It occurs to me that viewing by DBS last night the final ABC Monday Night
Football broadcast in HDTV before being relegated to subscription cable and
(for me) premium tier DBS,  could have made good use of  MPEG 4 judging by
the frequent breakups and pixelation experienced in an otherwise very high
quality presentation.