[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 11:07:52 -0600

Bob Miller wrote:

> I keep hoping that someone will come through and support a switch to
> COFDM and MPEG4 which is still the right thing to do.

Bob, your are simply beionfg silly and a ranting kook.

The US will NEVER chenge to MPEG4, nor add it to MPEG2. It may indeed
someday add COFDM to ATSC, but not MPEG4, for free OTA use on the
channels 2-51. Someday a new type improved service will be added,
well after the analog cutoff, but it won't be DVB-T o DVB-H, nor ISDB,
noe any form of MPEG-2 or 4. It will likely be COFDM of some sort ...
but the coding will be MPEG-5 or MPEG-6 or some US-specific newer
form of coding. The error correction system will also be some advanced
sort with no current name. That's how far in the future.

Have a happy new year.

Doug McDonald