[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:50:43 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > Anyway, the point is that if the tuner was the difference,
 > these same good tuners would apply to all DTT receivers, so
 > the argument that they cost too much can't hold. Or at
 > least, not for very long.

The argument seems to hold indefinitely.  Many people have discussed,
demonstrated, or ballyhooed new chips or tuners but for some reason that
does not ever seem to translate into marketable product.  That has not
changed yet.  It will be obvious when it changes because there will be
reports like the Accurian where something seems to be a good deal.
People will talk about being able to conveniently and economically get
OTA without signing your first born to some satellite provider. When
those reports continue because the manufacturer is making a profit on
them with happy customers then we will be there.

But I see no sign yet.  Only paper proofs, promises, and prototypes.

- Tom