[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:37:18 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>> Concur 100 percent. Offering more than analog OTA had been
>> offering seems important also in France and Germany.
>
> And it would have been offered ala USDTV ventures in 2001
> if COFDM had been allowed. And it will be offered when and
> if there is a solid receiver.

From your repeated mention of USDTV and mobile service, I
conclude that you're assuming, like Craig, that you need a
drastic change to save OTA. Like portable service, including
service to cell phones? To me, that doesn't save OTA TV. It
destroys it, and replaces it with a much more special-purpose
video service.

Instead, the lesson of Freeview in other countries is that
many people are interested in real DTT *if* the service is
free. Perhaps this additional service you talk about, like
Vcast or whatever, can also succeed, I don't know. Video
clips for those with attention deficit disorder is hardly
something I'd look forward to.

Oh, and by the way, it'll be fun to make ATSC work for
mobile environments.

> We assume they will cost too much and they definitely don't
> exist. So that is why nothing is happening. So call LG and
> ask them why.

First, I don't believe that assumption (they cost too much)
to be correct. Secondly, LG would just as happily give me a
song and dance as they have been giving you.

Let's just assume for an instant that they really do get
some sort of continuing revenue for every DBS box they sell.
Do you really think they would explain to a perfect stranger
that this is the reason they want to coerce people into DBS
rather than ATSC?

But I'm hopeful. There are enough companies working on this,
and the 2009 date has been set (we hope) for analog
switchoff, that someone will come through.