[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:40:30 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> There has never been any significant portion of USA OTA-only
> STB sales, since the dawn of time.  I think we can safely
> assume the CE companies do not feel it would be a good
> business proposition to make them.

That seems to be the case. What I don't get is why they go
to the extreme of deliberately selling an obsolete design,
when they could (one would think) use the same production
line to make the DBS and the OTA-only STBs. It just seems
like very deliberate, to me.

> I don't expect those CE companies to suddenly start making
> them tomorrow, or next year, or before hell freezes over.
> Something will have to change first.

I think the change will be analog shutoff. Not too different
from the German case, where analog shutoff was the needed
catalyst.