[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 20:48:54 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

>You keep saying that but it is just as obvious to me that
>modulation is the issue. The real question is if we had
>DVB-T in the US why wouldn't we be doing as well as
>other countries like the UK, Japan and France to name
>a few?

Maybe because those countries have a higher percentage
of OTA households, so the manufacturers figure on a
greater demand.

Maybe because in those countries, cable and DBS services
don't give kickbacks to manufacturers for providing
hardware for subscription services only, creating a
disincentive for FOTA hardware. (Assuming this is
true, which of course I don't know, but it has been
aledged by two broadcasters here.)

Maybe because in those countries, the DTT multiplex is
made much more attractive that the analog OTA
choices, suggesting that broadcasters are really serious
about deploying a better OTA service than before.
Whereas here, so far, the DTT and NTSC choices
are pretty much the same. Which leads manufacturers
to think there will be scant demand.

Mobility per se is not even the issue. The DTT plants
are primarily designed for fixed service, be it portable
or not. Even the DVB-H streams seem like they will
not be using the same 8 MHz bands as DTT.

I repeat: technical inadequacy might have been a
valid excuse in the past. Technical inadequacy
CANNOT be a valid excuse this season, when LG
(for one) sells an apparently adequate solution with
DirecTV boxes, but continues to sell an obsolete
design, which existed last year, with FOTA DTT-only
boxes.