[opendtv] Re: Toward digital TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:47:35 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

> You have said that often, and there are certainly antenna
> installers around, but the first two DTT installations I
> saw in the UK used set-top antennas, and our closest
> friends in London currently watch analog TV with a set-top
> antenna.  Our cousins in Edinburgh watch DTT with a
> set-top antenna, and every TV store I've visited in the UK
> has prominently shown indoor antennas.  The Silver Sensor
> comes from the UK; why would it exist if people there
> wouldn't use it?

Just trying to keep what one might laughably refer to as
"scientific objectivity" in these discussions, Mark. The
obvious questions on your Edinburgh experience would be,
how far from the transmitters? What COFDM modes?

If you recall, on this very list, one Jay Cordoba asked what
his brother should do to receive OTA HDTV. My suggestion was
to go to www.antennaweb.com, but try first an indoor
antenna.

With the indoor antenna, and 2nd gen Motorola receiver, he
received 22 stations, the furthest of which was some 50+
miles distant. Others have reported similar experiences on
this list.

Also, indoor antennas are for sale in many stores in the
US as well, it's the stand-alone ATSC STBs that are not
(although Circuit City seems to carry a decent assortment).

Should we conclude from these anecdotes that there's no
problem with ATSC either?

It would be nice to have one known difficult reception
location for COFDM, the counterpart to your apartment,
where failure and success stories could be extrapolated
into failure and success of the whole DTT infrastructure,
and all other anecdotes could then be dismissed.

By the way, Circuit City also had prominently on display
a Silver Sensor-like antenna, with "HDTV only" sign next
to it, among several other types.

I'd like to know why the new generation receivers are not
appearing on shelves this holiday season, when by all
rights they should have. Bringing up COFDM as the reason
is completely illogical.