[opendtv] Re: Time Out for the Gray Hairs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:01:51 -0600

Cliff Benham wrote:

> My internet connection is through Verizon Wireless with a USB modem.
> This small device plugs into a USB port on the PC and gets me ~~100K
> download and about ~~50K upload.

Cliff, you mean M in both those, or you really mean K?

If it's K, the speeds wouldn't support media streams very adequately.

Verizon ADSL gave us a pleasant surprise some time ago. A small change, but it
came unannounced. Went from 1.53M down and 380K up to 2.17M down and 480K up.
To get the very best speed, it somewhat depends when you reboot the modem.
Every time you reboot, you get a different ATM virtual circuit, evidently. If
you reboot in the wee hours of the night, it seems to help. The modem is ADSL+,
so in principle it could go up to about 25M down.

They keep wanting us to go FiOS. I was expecting that sooner or later, we
wouldn't have a choice. But instead, they announced a few weeks back that FiOS
was not going to be nationwide. Was only for something like 20 percent of
customers. Kind of takes the wind out of that solution.