[opendtv] Time Out for the Gray Hairs

  • From: "TLM" <TLM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Opendtv" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:34:01 -0800

(After a few private queries coming my way).  Here is the sequence of events
as best as I can reconstruct it -

.         Way back when, before there was dirt, LA's Analog Channel
28=PBS=KCET.

.         Someone along the way my parents got a computer but became
increasingly frustrated with dialup speed.

.         Then came DTV, they bought a new TV, but still LA's Digital (ATSC)
Channel 28=PBS=KCET.

.         My brother and I had cable run into their house for higher speed
EMail/Internet connectivity, and some whizzy new TV channels came along with
it that they wanted to try.

.         But with that also came the cable box and another remote which my
parents hated.

.         Years went by with no real interest in the added channels at the
end of the day as long as they could get Andy Rooney, News, Sports, and
Channel 28=PBS=KCET and Internet.

.         Except it wasn't Channel 28 anymore; with the cable box it became
Channel 3=PBS=KCET which confused the heck out of them but they got used to
it.

.         But then the cable company started jacking up the rates to the
point where their monthly bill was well over $100 for Internet and TV
channels that they had no interest in.

.         So, with cable company reassurance, which I independently double
checked, they dropped to Basic Cable TV and still got Channel 3=PBS=KCET and
Internet.

.         Remember that Basic Cable meant the cable box disappeared as well,
along with its remote and monthly fee.  Happy geriatrics with enough money
left over to cover the increases in Medicare.

.         Then KCET=PBS disappeared from their F connector altogether.

.         Upset geriatrics - nasty phone calls from my Mum (to both me and
the cable company, who reassured them that they still were getting
PBS=KCET).

.         I did a channel scan and found that sure enough, *both* KCET *and*
PBS had disappeared from the Basic Cable offerings.

.         Cable company reassures me that they can get PBS and KCET back
again with a truck roll, a new cable box, unwanted remote, and an extra $10
a month.

.         Next appointment would be a week out and my parents have to be
there between the hours of 8 AM and 5 PM when that day arrives.  Very upset
Mum.

.         Now all is well at their house with two coat hangers and a 300 ohm
balun pushed onto their DTV's F Connector.  Internet is still expensive but
at this point essential.

If two of you want to go over there in freshly pressed short sleeved white
shirts with black ties, black pants & socks and shiny black shoes and an
OpenDTV Pamphlet and tell them about Apple TV, Hulu and Oligopolies my Dad
will whack you with his cane and my Mum will gag you with a teaspoon of cod
liver oil.

All they really want is being able to do online banking, shopping and <->
EMail with friends and family, Huell Howser (LA KCET DTV Channel 28), News,
an occasional Super Bowl, Macy's Day parade and to have Andy Rooney back.

-       TLM

Tom McMahon
Del Rey
 <http://www.linkedin.com/in/McMahonTV> WWW.LinkedIn.Com/in/McMahonTV