[opendtv] Re: TiVo Roamio marries content recording and roaming, but cable keeps calling

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:20:56 +0000

Monty Solomon posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/11/tivo-roamio-marries-content-recording-and-roaming-but-cable-keeps-calling/

Another device which shouldn't be necessary, designed to convert a broadcast
MPEG-2 TS stream into Internet Protocol streaming media, after local recording,
when this content can just as easily have been provided as IP streaming media,
live or on demand, from the get-go (and some of it is). Then it would also be
available to devices anywhere, over the Internet, EVEN IF provided for a fee.

Seems to me that the TV delivery system tries to keep as many middlemen in the
loop as possible, even after technology has created more streamlined options.

At least, this one article finally states the obvious:

"And even if you don't want a dedicated piece of hardware, all laptops,
desktops, and mobile devices can become your 'TV' through the endless amount of
streaming content apps."

Except for that last bit about "through the endless amount of streaming content
apps." Isn't Ars Technica read by geeks? The "streaming content apps" I need
are a web browser and Flash Player. Nothing endless about that, eh?