[opendtv] Re: TiVo

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 14:22:24 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

My question is still how any of this requires a special
partnership with an Autralian broadcaster. Even if TiVo wants to make
the experience easy for Grandma, one would think they could do this on
their own just as easily.

If not with a dialup scheme, they could use their own web portal. Same
idea. I've no doubt, they like to keep that tether to their subscribers.

The Grandma thing was one example of how TiVo is moving away from being a DVR into being a web connected media server.

The partnership thing is to provide the content for the second example, in much the same way that TiVo has partnered with www.amazon.com/unbox . Why reinvent the wheel when you can partner with a content provider that already has the infrastructure in place?

TiVo is trying to expand beyond just time-shifting broadcast television.

John