[opendtv] This next week on the Road

  • From: Larry Bloomfield <Larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:13:38 -0400

Hi all

Where else can you get two hours or so of free live in and in person
education save your local SBE and/or SMPTE meetings? The Road Show and
other SBE/SMPTE programs can do that for you. The fact that you WILL
learn something is worth taking the time.

This next week will take The Tech-Notes Taste of NAB 2005 Road Show into
Indianapolis, IN on Monday, Sept. 12th where we’ll do our presentation
for SBE Chapter 25 and anyone else who would care to attend our
educational event. Things will begin at 7 PM in the studios of WFYI-TV.
For details (map, etc.), please visit:
http://www.tech-notes.tv/2005/54-Indy.htm

We will then head for Mason, OH where we’ll do our presentation for the
Dayton, OH SBE Chapter 33 and, of course, anyone else who’d care to
attend on Wednesday, Sept. 14th. Things will begin at 6:30 PM at the
Harris Broadcast Facility. For details (map, etc.), please visit:
http://www.tech-notes.tv/2005/55-Dayton.htm

Friday, Sept. 16th will find us in the Detroit, MI area at Detroit
Public Television (WTVS) in Wixom, MI. for SBE Chapter 82, the Detroit
SMPTE Section and, of course, anyone else who’d care to attend. Things
will begin around noon. For details (map, etc.), please visit:
http://www.tech-notes.tv/2005/56-Detroit.htm

To see a schedule of future venues for this year, please visit:
http://www.tech-notes.tv/2005/2005-2.htm. You can also see where we’ve
been and pictures of the venues completed. Here’s hoping to see you at
one of these places. If you do come, step up and say hi.

You do NOT have to be a member of SBE and/or SMPTE to attend any of
their functions. Anyone with an honest interest in broadcast technology
is *_most_* welcome. There are no admission fees and you might even win
one of the door prizes.

To date, we’ve received more than 145 E-mail this year alone about what
we’ve done. You can see what your fellow engineers are saying about this
year’s presentation at: http://www.tech-notes.tv/2005%20Comments.pdf
(about 700 KB)

Typical of the e-mail’s we’ve received are these three received within
the past day or so:

From: Augie Borgen
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:14:34 -0400

I am retired for 25 years (born 11-30-1915) but still attend our S B E
meetings. Not too old to learn and still trying to keep up with the new
technology. Your Road Show was both, very informative and educational.
Also I found it very entertaining with the variety of products displayed
and explained,

Thank You for a great presentation
August A. Borgen
SBE Member #2789
Chapter 20,Pittsburgh PA.

From: Humphrey, John
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 09:29:05 -0400

Larry,

Thanks for your effort in putting on the "Taste of NAB" road show event
on in Pittsburgh. I was disappointed by the turnout, but it may have
been because it was the day after the Labor Day weekend. I noticed the
parking lot was light at the office when I got back. We were able to get
the stuff set up and working pretty well in the short time we had.

In these hectic times, education is too often relegated to a back seat
by TV station management. I would like to think the engineers at the
local TV stations ARE interested, but are discouraged by the lack of
local input in engineering.

Your SBE "Educator of the Year" honor is well deserved. Your tireless
efforts with the Taste of NAB Road Show are a credit to you and your
sponsors who see the value in "grass roots" education and information.

SBE Chapter 20 Vice-Chairman and OITP Admiral,
John J. Humphrey, CPBE
Director, Broadcast Business Development

From: George Maier
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 00:22:23 -0400

Larry:
I realize that I'm behind the curve in getting this to you, but I wanted
to let you know that your road show was really well done, and very
informative. It's not often that we have an opportunity to see so many
interesting products presented in such a way as to impart enough
information to create interest, without getting too deep, unless someone
asked you to.

I wish you success, and hope that you complete this year's project in
good spirits and in good health.

Thanks again for making Boston one of your stops.

George Maier - CSTE
Director of Programs, SBE Chapter 11

From: Clarke, John
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2005 12:49:04 -0500

Larry,
We just had our September SBE meeting at our regular time.

It was overwhelming decided to ask you back next year to present your
outstanding show. We would as a suggestion like to have more radio
/audio gear at next years show.

Again thanks again for the excellent presentation you gave and the good
conversation. Looking forward to seeing you in 2006!

John A Clarke
Director of Engineering (Chairman SBE Chapter 122)
Clear Channel Radio Youngstown

One final note, the latest edition of the Tech-Notes (#132) is now
posted on our website. Please visit:
http://www.tech-notes.tv/Archive/tech_notes_132.pdf. It is a PDF file
that is about 1.2 MB in size.

--