[opendtv] Re: This from another (open) thread - IPTV on LinkedIn

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 23:14:06 +0000

Dan Grimes wrote:

>> ...using methods other than IP, for delivering video to
>> consumers, is becoming more and more a case of wanting to
>> erect a deliberate obstacle.
>
> Isn't there a long history of using that as a strategy and
> won't it continue in the future?

Seems to me, that's more doubtful. Because there are so many devices that
require standard Internet connectivity. And many of these are portable, making
it much harder to tether to this in-home box. And people demand that generic IP
connection. I doubt too many out there would accept buying special proprietary
phones, tablets, and PCs, just because their MVPD/ISP says so.

> But "appliances" that use IP often need to be refreshed every 6
> months to a year, maybe 2 at the most.

First, I think you're stretching the point. And also, iPhones and iPads cost as
much as many DTVs these days. If people are happy to spend that money, then
there's your answer.

But to answer more directly, if the manufacturer of your TV provides a
replaceable module, or if a third party manufacturer provides an STB (just like
for the DTV transition), that works too. None of these are insurmountable
problems. The point is, these examples of STBs are not under the control of the
ISP or MVPD. They depend instead of your appliance's specific needs. People
won't put up with their iPad suddenly going dark, at home.

> Can you elaborate on the significance of calling a TV an
> "appliance"?

Just making the point that the TV set is only one of MANY devices that now want
IP connectivity. Both in home and on the move. So focusing in on just that one
appliance, as if it HAS to be philosophically different from a tablet, is going
to make less and less sense over time.

> At face value, this statement sounds reasonable, but when
> you dive into the differences between a TV and a tablet,
> there are some big differences.

Honestly, the way I watch a lot of TV now, I have to disagree. The TV, in my
case, is much like a PC or tablet with a really large screen. When I watch
streaming TV, or recorded TV shows from a web portal, it's just like watching
TV. It's not quite HD, of course, but has gotten to the point that it's as good
as the best OTA SDTV subchannels. If I browse the web, it's just like a PC or a
tablet. I can do e-mail, write software, or just about anything else. (Don't
have Office loaded, though.)

The web portals make my PVR just about unnecessary. All that job is now "in the
cloud," as they like to say. BTW, that job was previously done by the MVPD PVR,
for MVPD subscribers.

> The CE industry and an MVPD can get together and work out a
> solution to get rid of the STB.  Historically, they certainly
> have tried and failed (e.g., CableCard) or provided a very
> short term solution (e.g., built-in tuners).

Who's "they"? The MVPDs dragged their heels and never supported the idea of
cablecard. IP is forcing them to comply with standards. That's the difference,
IMO.