[opendtv] Re: These 6 Corporations Control 90% Of The Media In America - Business Insider

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 22:45:04 -0400

On Oct 10, 2015, at 8:08 PM, Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

First point is that 6 competing corporations still do not a monopoly make.

Correct. If they are working together to manipulate/control a market it is
correctly called an oligopoly.

Second point is that without the monopolistic delivery pipe being the only
choice for consumers, the 6 corporations are having a tougher time colluding.

If you say so.

To date they have not needed to collude with respect to your neutral Internet
pipe. But Hulu is jointly owned by Fox, Disney and Comcast/NBC.

Much will be revealed when we see how they deal with the Virtual MVPDs.

I'm pretty sure I've made these points countless times already, Craig. Can
you move beyond this point?

In addition to that, new players have access to the Internet too.

And for all of this to work, the Internet has to remain strictly neutral.
Because if not strictly neutral, the 6 congloms will simply collude with one
another again. They would force this non-neutral IP delivery pipe to offer
only combinations of programs, in tiers they agree to in their collusion, for
prices they agree to in collusion.

Let's see what happens.

The reason I posted this info graphic was to get you to understand that the
broadcast networks used their political clout to build this oligopoly, rather
than trying to compete with the cable upstarts. At least it seems you got it.