[opendtv] Re: The ultimate last mile solution is a gas

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 13:15:23 -0400

The key is not where or even how many but the availability at this price
anywhere in Japan. That speaks volumes about competition. If you can buy
broadband anywhere in Japan at $25 for 26 Mbps then the rest is just
semantics. Yes it will take a while and cost more for broadband in some
remote areas but competition has already driven broadband to very
affordable levels and this bodes well for the entire country.

Especially in a country where a cantaloupe could cost $50. And Tokyo
doesn't guarantee low prices. I remember a small crab salad and a Coke
cost me $10 on the Ginza in 1970 when the Yen was 360 to the dollar.
Can't even imagine what that could cost now. My inflation tool says that
$10 in 1970 is $50.28 now but that doesn't take into account the rise in
the Yen to 107 to the dollar. Which suggest my crab salad and Coke would
cost $150 today. Simply can't be true right?

Bob Miller