[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:03:02 -0500

Cliff wrote:

> I'm just trying to get people to think realistically
> about what they write. No more, no less.

Cliff, please, let's not be annoying just for the fun
of it.

Craig's supposed "challenge" was to prove that you can
deploy a set of 6 national TV networks over VHF with
DTT, but not with NTSC. Get it?

Without resorting to giant DTT SFNs, I think you can
deploy such national networks using analog or digital,
with a small advantage going to digital as I indicated.

If you install huge synchronized SFNs, then of course
it's easier to stick with VHF-only with digital. That's
a no-brainer, but no one wants to go to that trouble.

The costs of deploying "ideal" infrastructure are
obviously going to be greater than making do with what's
there, but that wasn't the issue here. And you can
CERTAINLY create national networks using existing
transmission facilities.