[opendtv] Re: The "real" problem with OFDM in the U.S.

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:08:40 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

Bob -

I don't follow the auctions and so don't know how it differs.  But I
wasn't aware Qualcomm or anybody was planning a national
brooooaaaaadcasting network with the same national content everywhere to
get around the inefficiencies of interfering zone overlaps.  It just
seemed to me the supposed "inefficiencies" of the low VHF band might be
put to good use in this fashion.

It sure seems there would be enough national content and national
advertising to pay for at least one such channel.  And the cost of
running the local facility would certainly be much lower without having
considerations of either content acquisition (local or otherwise) or
local ad salesman.  It could be almost a lights out operation locally,
and yet probably very competitive to the viewers.

- Tom