[opendtv] The real objection to Aereo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 01:59:36 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Broadcasters need to decide what business they are (or want to be) in.
> The "deal" was free use of the spectrum in return for FOTA TV. Now
> that they have been enjoying the retrans revenues from cable, they
> seem to have forgotten about the FOTA deal.

I think you have it exactly.

My first reaction to Aereo was, hey broadcasters, why don't YOU stream
everything over the Internet? In fact, do so FOTI, just as you do FOTA, and
you'll beat them in a heartbeat.

Then I thought, bad idea, perhaps the broadcasters see this as TOO EASY
reception, perhaps allowing too many people to cut the cord.

> If they want to reach the cord cutters, they can deliver the stuff
> they have the rights for FOTI. Too bad this is little more than local
> news and public affairs programming. The good stuff is not free, so
> let's just end the illusion that it is.

Well, not quite right. Broadcasters transmit plenty of high value network TV,
their main raison d'etre, so they would have to make agreements with the
networks to get this *on local ISP nets*. Which they should have been doing for
a few years now? I agree that their own content, news and weather and some
local stuff perhaps, wouldn't be enough.

It would be amazing if broadcasters want to make "free" reception difficult.
Why? Because it would validate something you said a long time ago. You claimed
back then that broadcasters (Sinclair aside) liked 8-VSB, when it was hard to
receive, because it was hard to receive.

Hmmm. Same attitude now? I hope not, but otherwise, I can't figure out why the
objection.