[opendtv] Re: The graying of the TV Networks...

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 09:06:42 -0700

I disagree that the >50 demographic spends less than the 18-49.  I think
they actually spend more.

And more on technology.  I can't back this up by statistics but as far as
the people I know, it is the retired that have the huge flat panel HD TVs
and HD satellite or cable.  It is retired people that have the bigger Zune
or iTunes and other electronic gadgets.  They may be on a fixed income,
but they can really spend the money on technology!  They have all this
spare time to play with electronic toys and know more than I do about
them.

In my experience, the 18-49 demographic is spending more money on raising
kids and outdoor toys (quads, jet-skis, boats, etc.)

But then, Las Vegas isn't the average city either.  So my experience is
probably out of the norm compared to the rest of the country.

Dan

Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/02/2008 08:44 AM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject

At 11:49 AM -0400 7/1/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>  > Problem is that the >50 years old demographics don't spend
>>  their money like the 18-49's, and are thus far less valuable
>>  to advertisers.
>
>I wonder how this will change, as life expectancy keeps going up.

It could get worse as seniors worry whether their retirement nest egg
will last as long as they do.

And then there is the pending melt down of Social Security when the
IOU's start coming due...