[opendtv] Re: The graying of the TV Networks...

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:08:16 -0700

And will now have a great efficiency and expectation to use cellular phone
capabilities for business.  So perhaps the use will not go down, just
redirected.

Dan

             "Manfredi, Albert
             E"
             <albert.e.manfred                                          To
             i@xxxxxxxxxx>             <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             opendtv-bounce@fr
             eelists.org                                           Subject
                                       [opendtv] Re: The graying of the TV
                                       Networks...
             07/01/2008 08:49
             AM

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But the "new" old people are growing up in a different era -
> they are not hooked on "60 Minutes" and the evening news.
>
> The one given is that older people probably have more time
> to watch TV. Before my father-in-law passed away a few years
> ago he lived with us and watched TV almost all of his waking
> hours.

There's another effect too, though. Young people who get past their
college and early professional years slow down their various text
messaging and cell phone video watching activities. Because they get
busy all of a sudden. And when even they have their couple of hours of
relaxation time, tired out, they watch TV.

> Problem is that the >50 years old demographics don't spend
> their money like the 18-49's, and are thus far less valuable
> to advertisers.

I wonder how this will change, as life expectancy keeps going up.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image