[opendtv] Re: The graying of the TV Networks...

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:04:52 -0700

Have you noticed that PBS doesn't run Lawrence Welk so much as it does
concerts of the classic rock musicians?  It seems to me that the population
is getting older and the content is changing, but the theme is not.  Same
with 60 minutes, only now they call it Dateline and 20/20 and seem to only
focus on stories that involve murder.

Dan

             Craig Birkmaier
             <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
             opendtv-bounce@fr         opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             eelists.org                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/01/2008 08:03          [opendtv] Re: The graying of the TV
             AM                        Networks...

             Please respond to
             opendtv@freelists
                   .org

At 9:14 AM -0400 7/1/08, John Shutt wrote:
>PBS has had this problem with programs such as Laurence Welk for
>years. Guess what?  They keep making more old people!

Yup, just like when I was a kid, my grandmother kept making me watch
Lawrence Welk when it was broadcast live...

But the "new" old people are growing up in a different era - they are
not hooked on "60 Minutes" and the evening news.

The one given is that older people probably have more time to watch
TV. Before my father-in-law passed away a few years ago he lived with
us and watched TV almost all of his waking hours.

Problem is that the >50 years old demographics don't spend their
money like the 18-49's, and are thus far less valuable to advertisers.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image