[opendtv] Re: The graying of the TV Networks...

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:03:30 -0400

At 9:14 AM -0400 7/1/08, John Shutt wrote:
PBS has had this problem with programs such as Laurence Welk for years. Guess what? They keep making more old people!

Yup, just like when I was a kid, my grandmother kept making me watch Lawrence Welk when it was broadcast live...

But the "new" old people are growing up in a different era - they are not hooked on "60 Minutes" and the evening news.

The one given is that older people probably have more time to watch TV. Before my father-in-law passed away a few years ago he lived with us and watched TV almost all of his waking hours.

Problem is that the >50 years old demographics don't spend their money like the 18-49's, and are thus far less valuable to advertisers.