[opendtv] The enduring Apple TV Fantasy

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 00:38:35 -0500

The enduring Apple TV Fantasy

December 9, 201
Edited by Jean-Louis Gassée
Monday Note

We all want TV Done Right, free of the Soviet Era set-top box, UI and
opaque contracts. We imagine Apple will put all the pieces together.
But what's desirable and "obvious" might not be so simple or soonŠ

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have
gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Apple CEO Tim Cook told .
NBC's Brian Williams "It's an area of intense interest. I can't say
more than that."

These words - and similar ones in a substantial Bloomberg interview -
launched yet another round of frenzied speculation about the mythical
Apple TV.

Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster insists that an Apple TV in 2013 is a
sure thing. "It will be the biggest thing in consumer electronics
since the smartphone". (Of course, Munster has been saying this every
year for the last three yearsŠ)

Another analyst, Wells Fargo's Maynard Um, agrees that the device is
inevitable, if only because a full-fledged television is "more in
tune" with Apple than a simple set-top box.

HmmmŠ

http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/12/09/5175/