[opendtv] Re: The Verge: The great unbundling: cable TV as we know it is dying

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 01:33:04 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Fascinating!

So the FCC tells local franchise authorities that they cannot regulate
basic cable rates, citing competition from DBS, and you think it is
because of competition from the Internet...

Ever laborious to get simple points across. No, Craig. My point is simply that
the DBS rationale might have, made sense 20 years ago, to deregulate basic
cable rates. Not today. Today, what makes a whole lot more sense is competition
from OTT sites. This is not JUST competition on the legacy MVPD model basis,
but also on the basis of whole different types of bundles.

The technology has been there for 20 years to offer effective
competition.

No, Craig. The technology available, for delivery of broad spectrum TV signals,
20 years ago, was broadcast one-way networks. Networks with natural head-ends,
which lend themselves naturally to walled garden topologies. The Internet, and
more exactly broadband Internet, radically changed that picture. Reason being,
as I'm positive I explained multiple times, is that IP nets are two-way. They
DO NOT lend themselves naturally to that single head-end as source of all your
TV signals.

Sorry Bert, but the younger generation is one of the largest groups
using TV Everywhere.

Also the largest group of cord cutters and cord nevers. I saw an interesting
video from The Motley Fool, which made that point. The guy in the video was
talking about his daughter in college, and how she let him in on this "new
concept" that you didn't need to subscribe to any TV distribution network at
all.

The point of that piece was that people should make their future investment
bets on content creators and owners. Because it is the content people are
after, no matter how they get it, not the specific MVPD.