[opendtv] The Unsubscribe Disaster

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:51:03 -0500

I got up at 4:30 this morning to clean up the second wave of folks who were offended by the barrage of e-mail that resulted from moving the OpenDTV list to FreeLists.org.

Here is a synopsis of some of the problems I have uncovered.

The original source of many of these problems was with Topica. Some of this may have been the result of the fact that some people were "subscribed" in a mode where they did not receive messages, yet their address was included in the list of addresses I imported to create the list at FreeLists.org.

And some of this was due to the "Black Hole" problem at Topica. As we saw in some of the posts yesterday, a significant number of subscribers to the list at Topica.com simply stopped receiving messages. Some of these people re-subscribed using a different e-mail address. Some people have changed e-mail addresses without deleting the old address. Or worse, they did not change the address used to subscribe to the list when their address changed; their local mail server kept forwarding messages to the new address, but the new address could not be used to delete the old address.

After scrolling through the subscriber list for hours, I have seen multiple addresses for some of you. If you are now receiving multiple copies of the same message it is probably because you have multiple addresses on the Freelists.org list. Some people use more than one address so that they can receive a separate digest - this is no longer necessary, since you can configure an address using the "Digest2" flag, which send both individual messages and a digest.

If you are among those with multiple address problems, please send me an e-mail (OFF LIST PLEASE) with the address you want to keep using, and any additional addresses you want me to delete. I will configure you account including the proper flag to receive individual messages, a digest, or both.

To make matters worse, a number of irate people followed my instructions on unsubscribing, yet were not unsubscribed. This one took a little digging to unearth the problem.

The list WAS configured in a manner that required confirmation of the unsubscribe request. They received the confirmation message, but it did not tell them the important next step - to reply to the message to complete the unsubscribe request. I have debated this morning whether to maintain the confirmation for unsubscribe requests. After observing how the FreeLists servers slow down during the day I have elected to make it easy to get off the list - no confirmation will be required. However, a two step subscribe process, using e-mail confirmation, will be used to slow down the spammers.

Finally, I have determined an easy way to unsubscribe from the list. I am adding this to each message for now to assist those who are still trying to escape. You will see this in the footer to this and all future messages. If there is any additional information that you would like added to the footers, send your suggestions to the list so we can discuss them.

That's all for now.

AKA "Sleepless in Gainesville"