[opendtv] Re: "The TV model is broken," says ISP that stopped offering pay-TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 20:53:01 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The real value of the Internet is that everyone can connect servers and
> access them from virtually anywhere. But MANY of these servers lie behind
> walls.

When discussing use of the Internet as a TV content distribution medium, the
"real value" is indeed that you, the customer, are no longer limited to *a*
single source for content, as was the case when connected via one-way broadcast
and passively split cable, or one-way broadcast DBS. So, trying to force-fit
that old model won't work long term. When the ISP/MVPD attempts to use its TV
broadcast old-school streams to lock the subscriber into a similar
source-monopoly for Internet TV content, that is a force-fit that is
anachronistic, and bound to fail in the long term.

This seems lost to you, Craig.

> You are also confused about the many ways that the congloms sell the
> same content to multiple distributors,

You're getting lost in your rhetoric. Once again, it is the congloms and the
rights holders who have awakened to the need for a change, as many articles
point out. You are basically trying to tell us this isn't true. You are trying
to contradict what the guys in charge of the content have figured out.

> You adamantly support the rights of content owners to sell their programs.
> For some reason, however, you expect them to revert to ad ad supported
> business

And you keep raising this red herring. Ad supported is an option, even the
likes of John Skipper know this, but go ahead and find any quote from me that
says this is the only Internet option.