[opendtv] Re: The Rome swicthoff experience

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 16:17:19 -0600

Tom Barry wrote:

> It sure seems to me the world should find something useful
> to do with (low) VHF that does not require home indoor
> antennas.  Though maybe it's suited for the wide open
> prairies or something.

Yes. They like low VHF in places like Alaska.

> How about if it was used to send from VHF big sticks to
> low power UHF repeaters with tall outdoor receiving
> antennas?  Would that work?

I think it would work just fine wherever you can easily wrestle a large antenna.

Antenna size aside, I think it was Doug Lung who hit the nail on the head on
this one. He explained in one of his articles that the FCC had simply not taken
into account the noise level in low VHF. It's not enough to just say that the
received signal has to be at least -85 dBm at the receiver's antenna input. It
*also* has to have a C/N ratio >= 15.2 dB, or so.

So, when they tried to cut the margin too close on the V/m signal density
aspect of the problem, as they did with all of the VHF allocations, they
apparently totally blew the C/N criterion in these noisy channels.