[opendtv] Re: The Plain Geometry of Stereoscopic 3D

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 10:09:17 -0600

Mark Schubin wrote:

> Next comes screen size. In a movie theater, it is possible to adjust
> the IPD for the screen size, either to a desired mean or, perhaps,
> to a maximum, so that no viewer needs to diverge (an unnatural eye
> movement), no matter how distant the object displayed.
>
> In theory, at least, the same could be done in a TV set. "Knowing"
> its screen size, a processor could adjust the 3D accordingly. I am
> not aware, however, of any TV set doing so. So, if a broadcaster
> transmits one signal that might be displayed on screens ranging
> from a 1-inch mobile phone to a 152-inch plasma, the IPD will vary
> accordingly, outside the control of the broadcaster.

I don't get how 3D TV can work WITHOUT such a scheme.

I also don't understand how one can create the effect of focusing on infinity,
when the eyes are essentially parallel, when viewing the image on a 1" screen.
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the screen have to be wider than the
2.5" IPD, to create the two images at all possible ranges?