[opendtv] Re: The New Mac Mini is All About Movies

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:40:07 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

> Everyone is desperately trying to stake some
> turf and impress the studios with their superior
> authentication, network, and STB, but in the
> end they will just shoot themselves in the feet.

They also want to give their customers a TV
experience they'll accept. One of the most
difficult aspects being avoiding having to take
minutes to "change channels." Another difficult
aspect being a guarantee that the streams will
be solid.

So these IPTV companies have to tweak standard
protocols to offer a service the protocols were
never intended to provide. I'm sure that
eventually a small set of preferred solutions will
emerge.

Consumers have no problem understanding the
difference between driving to Blockbuster and
switching movie channels on their cable system.
Both models work. No amount of wordsmithing can
confuse consumers into believing the two models
are the same thing.

That said, though, consumers might be retrained
into watching more stored content. But even then,
the fact that TiVo, according to the trade hype,
"invented" time shifting, means that people who
do watch stored content mostly need a walled
garden anyway.