[opendtv] Re: The New Laws of Television

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:54:48 -0400

>I think that in this worst case scenario (for
>broadcasters), broadcast TV would still have a place. At
>very least, in the distribution of real time events.
>News, weather, sports, and real-time reality shows. And
>who knows what other innovative programming that
>requires real-time mass distribution.

I can't say whether this is the worst case or not. I guess dying
would be worse.

But I do think that Bert has identified some of the areas where
broadcasters do have an advantage in terms of mass distribution. Put
this together with the discussion about whether the DTV service
should be optimized for the Best or for the average, and the answer
is obvious.

People are willing to PAY for the best, and there will be many ways
to hook them up with the best content. People are less willing to pay
for "Free TV" but more forgiving about the quality of what they get for "Free."

Funny how real markets work like this.