[opendtv] Re: The New Laws of Television

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 23:47:23 -0700

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 23:56 -0400, Tom Barry wrote:
> Bittorrent does have those strengths.  But I qualified my post e

No, it does not. Maybe you don't understand what I wrote.

> be interested in it.  The problem with BT is that for every byte
> received, one has to be sent by someone.  It may be distributed by

Thats not true and just shows that you are talking about BT but you
haven't even read the basic protocol specification. If your scenario
were the mode of operation, BT *would not work*.

> many someones but it is still one-to-one for that piece of the
> file.  If you know there are VERY high odds of MANY people being
> interested in that piece than adding multicasting still makes
> sense.  This is true whether you are sending from a single server
> or multiple peers.

Is it really? Your assumption is that everyone wants the same chunks.
Once again, that doesn't jive with the BT distribution model (the packet
is the network, vs. the file is the network). And you continue to wave
multicasting around like it is some magic bullet. Multicast does not
work on the internet in long-haul deliveries. In fact you probably can't
even deliver that outside your cable modem gateway. It just doesn't get
any simpler than that.

> > Better than what? You can already bittorrent anonymously using Tor or
> > other anonymous proxying and services.
> >
> Of course.  But it is not clear whether Tor, I2P, etc. are yet
> either anonymous or efficient enough for "commercial pirate" use.
>   Probably not.

Right, because *commercial* interests do not want *anonymous*
distribution. Your whole argument negates itself. The other answers we
already know.

> Getting hung up in guaranteed arrival time is the TV model.  We

Guaranteed *start* time is the TV model. Guaranteed arrival time is a
completely different delivery mechanism.

> I think multicasted P2P2Tivo would be efficient and find many
> interested consumers even for many reruns.  But maybe not for
> infomercials. Oh well.  Internet TV has less need to fill all the
> air space.

Multicasted P2P? Could that be any more contradictory? Is that like
those Apple Oranges they sell at the grocery store?

> I'll stop here.

Ok cause you may hurt yourself. :-)

Cheers
Kon