[opendtv] Re: The New Laws of Television

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 21:28:35 -0400

To really make this sort of "hyperdistribution" (neat word) work
over the Internet I still think they should make a version of Bit
Torrent that works well using multicasting.  For popular shows
this would still commercial allow appointment TV with vastly
decreased bandwidth requirements.

One of the major advantages of BT right now is just getting around
the quirk that many have download speeds of maybe 4 mbps like mine
but only 300 kbps upload speed.  So if I was downloading from only
one person I'd be limited to how fast they could upload.  But if I
download from a dozen then I can go fast.

For Internet broadcasting that's not much of an advantage if you
could multicast prime time anyway.  I'm guessing that for 24 fps
dramas and sitcoms you could match the existing broadcast quality
using about a 960x540 resolution AVC VBR to Tivo-like disc caches
and download (not stream) in real time at only about 4-5 mbps.
This wouldn't be full HDTV but should at least compete well with
the current efforts from the broadcasters and would work already
for many broadband customers.

Of course all this assumes the cooperation of the prime content
owners, which is maybe unlikely.  Otherwise it will probably have
to wait a bit for better anonymous hyperdistribution technology
and continue to use pirated media at first.

I wonder when the pirates will start inserting their own ads into
ad-stripped material?

- Tom