[opendtv] Re: The New Laws of Television

  • From: "Silvio Macedo" <s.macedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:18:04 +0100

If I may, I believe that with: 1) video in digital form using good and
free codecs, 2) the increase of bw and  3) availability of completely
distributed p2p architectures , there will be nothing anybody can do
to actually stop piracy.

Also, I believe (HOPE!) when you discuss the possibility of embracing
piracy (Tom/Bert at least), what you really mean is that there could
be ways of doing the same thing legally.=20

Piracy itself should never be tolerated. If someone prefers to have
its content distributed over BT rather than protect it and sell it in
another way, this is not piracy - it's just another form of
distribution - call it hyperdistribution, if you will - but not
piracy.

Finally, going back to the initial discussions on p2p and internet TV,
what I believe to be fundamental is to find equally simple 1-2-3-click
front-ends to get content in a legally and commercially viable way -
something like what iTunes did for napster.

That's the challenge. If there are legal p2p networks or not, dvds
will continue to be ripped, tv tuners will continue to dump torrents
directly to the web to cross the Atlantic - and that will happen
independently of legal p2p networks. The pressure is just too much. In
fact, the only thing that creating legal p2p networks may do, is to
decrease piracy, by reducing the barrier between 1-2-3-click and
dressing/going out/driving to get a dvd.=20

Then it will be (again) more a matter of moral/ethics than
easier/faster/convenience. Currently, it's easier/faster/more
convenient to go underground. It shouldn't be like that...

Silvio