[opendtv] Re: The New Laws of Television

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:34:54 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
 > I think that both of you have missed the point of that
 > article, then. The main thrust of his thesis was that
 > piracy had to be *welcomed*. In your thinking above,
 > instead, piracy would continue to be dreaded.

And which one do you think is more likely.  ;-)

But Craig was basically talking about ways that a media product
could be differentiated into different levels of service based
upon both video quality and ad density.  Like regular TV it would
be possible to give away one tier of service and yet have a
premium model where there are fewer (or no) ads, better picture,
and less censorship.  People would still pay for the premium
service but for the free service it might be acceptable to embrace
or at least tolerate "piracy" in order to gain the larger audience.

I don't see the two ideas really as incompatible.  Piracy controls
are just expensive overhead that any given consumer or distributer
may or may not be willing to pay for.

- Tom