[opendtv] The Medium: We Interrupt This Program

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 22:44:43 -0500

The Medium
We Interrupt This Program

By VIRGINIA HEFFERNAN

The New York Times
January 4, 2009

My video will resume after this ad, in 26 seconds. The video is
really a movie - or at least it was a movie. I don't know what to
call it while I'm watching it on my computer screen, with my browser
set to Hulu, the streaming-video site.

Let's call it "Wimbledon." Released in 2004, it's a romantic comedy
about tennis that I could have seen for $8 or so in a theater four
years ago or ordered from Netflix, caught on HBO or bought as a DVD
for $4 on eBay. But I didn't. In fact, I only now discovered it in
the modest movie lineup on Hulu. After a rocky start during which it
was hazed as just another slick effort to upstage the fun,
do-it-yourself YouTube, Hulu became great. The Associated Press just
named Hulu its Web Site of the Year for 2008.

However, there are ads. All videos (TV shows, movies, clips, news)
are prefaced on Hulu by unavoidable commercials; you can't click to
shut them off or fast-forward through them. With longer videos, ads
appear at regular intervals - but it's just one ad, usually a tightly
produced 15- to 30-second spot, rather than a TV-style cluster. Some
movies have sponsors who offer "limited commercial interruption" -
about four ads per film. Cutting into "Wimbledon," this sweet, brisk
British mood-lifter in which Paul Bettany falls in love with Kirsten
Dunst, is an Ad Council public service announcement for healthful
eating. Annoying. At the top of the movie, I swear Halls cough drops
announced that it was presenting this movie without ads. Or was it
without many ads?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/magazine/04wwln-medium-t.html