[opendtv] Re: The Many Internet-Video Options for TVs

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:33:53 -0400

The problem is that none of the 'boxes' can get ALL the available programming because the FCC has stopped being the FCC. IT is in the pockets of the megalithic program providers so THEY can make

all the money by competing with each other.

Because of this the consumer loses out.

The FCC no longer requires that every piece of receiving equipment to be capable of receiving every program, and further that the program sources be required to transmit all programming so
that it can be received by every receiver.

By 'transmit' and 'receiver' I mean to include 'streaming' and 'computer'.

Today is a far cry from the 1964 FCC mandate that ALL receivers be provided with UHF tuners
so that ALL programming could be received.

Cliff

On 8/19/2013 4:59 PM, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Cliff Benham wrote:

Yesterday, Consumer Reports picked Western Digital's WDTV PLAY as the best
deal @ $65.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/7_on_your_side&id=9204643

They do mention that one problem with these boxes is that some of them are more
limited in what they can access than others are. But they don't seem to ask the
most obvious question: why limit them at all?

For instance, here's the Western Digital remote control, with dedicated buttons
for two or three web sites. Hmmm. There's one feature begging to become
obsolete, eh?

On this subject, last night I was having fun watching the original episode of Star Trek
Voyager. That's the episode where they get catapulted to the Delta Quadrant of this
galaxy. Exceedingly few commercials, and my bet is, NONE of these boxes have access to
it. The "classic CBS" shows are available on the cbs.com site.

(This particular Star Trek series, I thought, was technically quite good at the
time. I'm guessing that we're getting either a made-for-analog videotaped
master of the show, or that CBS is compressing these classic shows more than
current shows. Because the image is noticeably soft even streamed over my 1.5
Mb/s ADSL, the titles seem huge and primitive, the sound is okay, actually, but
is much better in made-for-DTV shows, and wouldn't it have been nice if these
old shows were filmed in wide screen.)