[opendtv] The HDTV Dilemma: Pay for TiVo's Recorder Or Settle for Cable's?

  • From: Monty Solomon <monty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: undisclosed-recipient:;
  • Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:49:11 -0500

December 28, 2006
The HDTV Dilemma:
Pay for TiVo's Recorder
Or Settle for Cable's?

By Walter S. Mossberg

If you just got a high-definition television, one of the best things
you can buy to complement it is a digital video recorder, or DVR, the
tapeless gadgets that save programs so you can watch them when you
choose.

The trouble is, it's hard to find a DVR that can record in high
definition, so most people wind up simply going with the bare-bones
high-definition DVR capability built into the set-top box supplied by
their cable or satellite service.

But TiVo, the pioneer in digital video recording, has recently
entered the high-definition recorder market with a high-end,
high-priced product. It's called the TiVo Series3 HD Digital Media
Recorder and it sells for a whopping $800, as much as some HDTVs
themselves. And that doesn't include the $12.95 a month it costs to
subscribe to TiVo.

I've been testing the new TiVo and I like it a lot, but it's hard to
swallow that huge price, especially since the new Series3 model
doesn't include some nice features available on the much cheaper
Series2 version, which doesn't record in high definition. It also
can't handle certain cable features.

http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20061228.html