[opendtv] Re: The Guardian: HBO Go without needing cable? Welcome to the future of television

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 21:33:14 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> HBO has NEVER been stuck on the MVPD bundle model.

A distinction that makes no difference. HBO has always been behind MVPD walls,
available only as a premium tier. (Yes, I know about the transitional Marquee
service, OTA scrambled, eliminated after cable arrived in your location.) Which
means, subscribers had to pay the basic and the premium tier, to get HBO. So
for example, that hefty ESPN monthly fee, to Disney, is part of getting HBO. So
are the fees for HGTV, the Food Network, and all the rest.

So, not part of a bundle? Convince me.

Not surprisingly, HBO has figured this out. Wow, I'm losing customers now,
because I'm not dealing with a *local content source monopoly* anymore. What
should I do? So, now HBO is considering going direct to customer. Big change.

Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, never depending on a local content source monopoly
model, showed HBO how it has to be done these days. And yes, they also showed
ESPN how it has to be done these days.

> It allows them to compete with Netflix et al, with a VOD based business
> model.

It's truly astonishing that you think VOD is the only difference.