[opendtv] Re: The End of TV as We Know It

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:45:04 -0800

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 18:02 -0500, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> We've been over these tradeoffs many times, and the
> upshot of it is that unicast cannot save on bandwidth
> unless the number of viewers on the network is lower
> than the number of TV channels available to choose
> from.

Well unfortunately the writer of the article doesn't know what he is
talking about and he really *does* mean multicast. Or he is talking
about some new IPTV system that is doing something that everyone else is
not (doubtful).

Unicast adds nothing except more pipe bandwidth and headend server load.
You can still track user operations just as easily as fully-fledged
unicast sessions by doing delayed unicast reportback and initial
requests for decryption keys et al to 'join' a session. Switching is now
intelligent enough to prune sessions even if only one person is watching
the broadcast. And you bet your bottom dollar all the channels coming as
IP contribution feeds are being multicast as the broadcast channels they
are.

Handing out packets with continuous handshaking is so passe. :-)

Cheers
Kon