[opendtv] Re: The Copyright Office Report

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 06:35:24 -0400

John Willkie wrote:
> The most realistic thing they can do is to phase out cable's exemption from copyright licenses, at least for all but the smallest systems.

Is this at all likely? What do you think would be the implications if they did?

- Tom

Well, I've read most of the report (up to page 200).

It was required by the SHVERA in 2004.  It makes several proposals to
streamline and rationalize the copyright act as pertains to television stations
carried on satellite and cable, including several alternatives.  But, not
eliminating the payments, except for local-into-local cable, to be just like
local-into-local DBS.

It notes the current breadth of the video marketplace, including streaming,
downloads, iTunes, and network and local station web sites.

In the greenfield, territory, it deals with the Capitol Broadcasting proposal
for a somewhat restrictive cable-over-internet, and concludes that it isn't
entitled to cable compulsory license, at least absent legislation.

It draws a distinction between that proposal and walled garden systems like Verizon
FIOS TV and AT&T U-verse, finding that the others are very analogous to cable,
and are probably entitled to cable compulsory license.

The SHVERA licenses run out at the end of next year.  Some fun could be had
with some provisions between Feb 17, 2009 and the end of the year.

However, the whole thing requires Congressional action, and serious work is not something
that the current congress will ever be known for, and I doubt that the next one will be
worse, if Empress Pelosi and "Dingy" Harry Reid retain their current posts.

Basically, the report advocates eliminating several of the compulsory licenses
and opening up cable copyright issues to market forces, since the scope and
character of cable systems have changed radically since 1976.  Indeed, cable is
now a bigger business than ota tv.

There are several digital wrinkles, but only time will tell if the next
congress can avoid the dog-and-pony shows that have characterized the current
one.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx