[opendtv] The Boldest Dumb Idea I've Ever Seen

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:35:32 -0400

That was a great little report.  I'm pretty sure most of us aren't going
to trade in or displace our TV's for a cell phone, and sure - its
technology chasing a viable business.  But, the goal I think is
ubiquitous (sorry for that descriptor) access to video content.   Its
simply a comm channel and people are trying to figure out how to make
the most of it.  Qualcomm obviously has deep pockets.
Whether the video actually shows up on my "phone" or some other portable
device is basically irrelevant in my mind (but certainly not QC's).

Case in point, I recently learned about orb.com.  It lets me watch/see
my stored video's, photos, audio etc over the internet.  Its got
"slingbox" like capability.  I can share my photos with friends without
having to upload them Shutterfly or something.....but thats not the
point.  Right now, I have to buy an MLB subscription to listen or watch
(on the internet) my hometown baseball games when I am traveling.  MLB
owns the content.  Now I use my PC tuner at home and watch on the road.
This is the "battle" with content owners as I am sure you know.  I am
paying for my cable at home, does that mean I have to be there to watch
it?  I can record it and watch it later....can I record it and watch it
5 seconds later??   These are real industry challenges.

My kids watch watch mostly pre-recorded TV at home.  A portable box that
would allow me to get that video anywhere the kids where  - like in the
car - or waiting in the Dr's office - is something I would personally
buy...cost and service fee permitting.

So companies are pushing ahead to make the comm channel work while
simultaneously trying to figure out what value they can bring to
consumers.

"portable/mobile video" isn't dumb, IMHO, we just haven't figured what
makes sense and how to do it....
Of course, the reason QC talks some much about "content providers" is
they hold all the cards and they want to make sure it stays that way.
I dont think it will, but thats another story....