[opendtv] Test today

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 02:09:12 -0400

Couple of points first. dbu was just db, my mistake. The B card gives a
db figure. The A card has a window for it but does not deliver yet.

I have not contacted the parties that gave me these cards. Will tomorrow
and will see if they want me to name them. Will do the same for the
first receiver.

The A card was giving me a false reading of 100. There was another
utility that gives me percentage figure. I have no way of saying that
the percentage number given by the two boards are equal but they seem to
be similar.

In Mark's apartment the first 5th gen LG prototype worked even when Mark
took the loop antenna off the plant by the window and moved it some feet
into the room. He may have placed it on top of hid TV set. He will have
to confirm that. But that prototype still worked on all channels some
four feet into the room.

Today we started with the loop antenna hanging maybe 20 inches from the
window on a string at an angle arbitrarily placed. We were getting some
iffy results with the A board which we tried first so I moved the
antenna to the window and taped it there. This increased signal strength
for example on a station getting 71 to 88. So I left the antenna there
accept for one test where I moved it to near the top of Mark's TV set.
Poor results on the first few stations so quit that.

Neither of these cards is as good as the 5th gen LG prototype. Both of
these cards are very close to being equal. Mark thinks the last STB we
tested with 5th gen LG tech was maybe a little better. I don't think so.
It think that LG had a prototype but when they made it into a sellable
product it did not measure up to the prototype for whatever reason. I
think that the same LG 5th gen Innotech tuner is used in all receivers
we have tested so far and in the LG Integrated HDTV sets that got rave
reviews in New York.  I think they are all probably pretty much equal.
That is the other reason I did not bother to test one of those HDTV sets.

At Mark's today

Channels            A                          B
     db on B
12   (11)              0 ?                        82  Solid
           24.4

28   (4)                93 Solid               100  Solid
             28

30                        0                           30-51 no
video         13.5

33                        87-89 Solid           ??

38  (9)                 87-88 Solid           91 Solid
   24.1

40                        93 Solid                99 Solid
       26.6

44  (5)                  94 Solid                86 Solid
      23.4

45  (7)                  71-84  Solid          79 Solid
    21.7

53                        94-96 Solid            100 Solid
   33.3

56  (2)                  75-85 Solid            91-95 Solid
   24.4

Seems that Analog 11 had two digital stations, 12 and 33. The B card see
12 as Channel D11, RF 12 and sees 33 as Channel D11, RF 33.

The the B board displays Channel 11 while actually playing physical
Channel 12 on the A board that is Channel 33. But there are two physical
digital channels at the FCC, 12 and 33. What is what I don't know.

When I scan on B I get a 95% reading on 33 but nothing shows up video
wise and I cannot chose to watch 33. Nothing shows on the A card for
Channel 12 though 33 comes in well. WPIX is very confusing.

Tonight I rescan and each time get more channels to show up at home on
Roosevelt Island. With the antenna  in the middle of the floor I get
WNYE 24 for the first time at 0- 21%  or 5 db. No video just the
indication of signal.

Getting WLIW 22 from Garden City LI at  27%  7.5 db no video.

Here I am getting excited about 8-VSB reception and realize that in 1999
we were receiving COFDM from just north of Garden City in New York City
mobile and at a fraction of what WLIW is probably putting out today.

Same distance from the city, about 20 miles. Less than a kW of power for
the COFDM transmitter and we were not just getting an indication of a
signal at 27% or 7.5 db, we were getting video mobile in Manhattan
another 1/2 mile from here. In fact the first reception of COFDM in the
US by myself was in the street outside on Roosevelt Island driving to
Queens where I was supposed to drive toward Garden City till I got
something.

The fact is I picked up the signal as I drove down main street just
outside. Main street runs at a right angle to any signal from Garden
City and had buildings 19 stories tall lining the road. Watch the movie
Dark Water if you want to see what I mean.

It was in that canyon that we first saw what COFDM could do in the US
and then over the 59th St. bridge and into Midtown not toward Garden
City that we went.

So that does tone down my excitement. Sort of like playing with an old
decrepit car. It may not be a Maserati like COFDM but it is still fun
when you finally get it running.

These cards and the last receiver we tested are good enough for a
business plan IMO. And I think maybe LG or someone will build a receiver
as good as the LG prototype in the near future, a year or so.

Bob Miller