[opendtv] Re: Technical question on coupon eligible converter boxes

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:36:51 -0400

Good catch, Paul.  Title 47 of the United States Code can be found here:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/cfrassemble.cgi?title=200647

I think the converter box specs meant 47CFR11.11. Which only means it should display the crawl and the audio.

The only emergency requirement for ATSC receivers can be found in A53, Part 5, section 6.8, which says in part:

"Whenever the E service is present, it will be delivered to the audio decoder. Whenever the audio decoder receives an E type associated service, it will stop reproducing any main service being received and only reproduce the E service out of the center channel (or left and right channels if a center loudspeaker does not exist)."

However, there is no requirement that EAS alerts be flagged as audio type E.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Freeman" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>