[opendtv] Technical question on coupon eligible converter boxes

  • From: "Paul Freeman" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:14:44 -0500

The specs for the converter boxes eligible for the coupon program state that
boxes must comply with 47CFR11.117 for the Emergency Alert System. I am
trying to determine what this means. CFR is the Code of Federal Regulations.
47CFR is the subset of federal regulations specified by the FCC. And,
47CFR11 is the FCC requirements for the Emergency Alert System. So, so-far,
so-good I guess. But any URL I find on the web for 47CFR11, such as
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/cfr/1999/47cfr11
.pdf, does not have a Section 117.

In general, I am unaware of any Emergency Alert System requirements that
apply to terrestrial receivers, as I believe all the EAS processing happens
on the broadcaster side. Cable receivers are different, as they must comply
with SCTE 18. That spec allows a cable head-end to broadcast message to the
receiver that tell it to force tune to a different channel that is carrying
an emergency alert audio / video message, or to scroll an EAS text message
across the screen. The forced tune operation makes it easier for the head
end to (virtually) transmit an EAS audio / video alert on all channels
simultaneously by instead only transmitting it on one and telling each
receiver to force tune to that channel. But this does not apply to
terrestrial receivers.

Does anybody here know what requirement for EAS is being specified by
47CFR11.117?