[opendtv] Re: Targeted TV Advertising Catches Interest

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:01:48 -0400

At 8:44 PM -0400 10/18/04, Tom Barry wrote:
>It occurs to me that another way of allowing consumers to self select
>the ads would be to just allow them to (sub-) channel surf multiple ad
>possibilities, knowing they would still see the beginning of the real
>show when it started again.  You could easily build a profile from that
>of what they might be interested in if nothing else.
>
>It could be done much like the Tivo favorites, though I forget what
>that's called, but just in ad surfing.

This is certainly a possibility, one that would be useful for
localized newscasts, for example.

But for commercials it would not be very reliable to make the viewer
search for the right ad, and there are technological issues that go
well beyond simply selecting from a few alternative ads. Already
there are systems that blast out the elements that can be used to
construct different ad versions using different PIDs to identify the
elements, and metadata to tell the receiver how to combine these
elements to customize the ad for the target demographics.

Your example of TIVO favorites might not be too far off the mark,
however. Why must ads run synchronously with program material? Why
not load the local cache with ads that meet demographic targets, and
insert them into programs? Why not give the viewer the option of
watching one very targeted ad at the beginning of a program, then
watch the entire show without interruptions.

Ther are a multitude of possibilities; we should not be trying to
pre-judge which will succeed and which will fail. We should create a
platform that is open; a platform that can drive innovation, rather
than trying to control it.