[opendtv] Re: Taken to a New Place, by a TV in the Palm

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 18:38:04 -0500

Monty Solomon wrote:

> Taken to a New Place, by a TV in the Palm
>
> By DAVID CARR
> December 18, 2005
>
> Last Tuesday night, I took my place in the bus queue for
> the commute home. Further up the line, I saw a neighbor
> - a smart, funny woman I would normally love to share the
> dismal ride with.
>
> I ducked instead, racing to the back of the bus because
> season one of the ABC mystery-adventure "Lost" was waiting
> on my iPod.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/18/weekinreview/18carr.html?ex=3D12925620=
0
0&en=3Dba96d5db754248ff&ei=3D5090>

I wonder why this, just another addiction, in my book, is
being hyped up to be a good thing?

Being a bus/metro commuter myself, I have noticed this sort
of antisocial behavior. But it doesn't strike me as
something to be proud of. Similar to the endless cell
phone conversations with a virtual tavel partner. Strange
cultural shifts.

We may end up just like the movie Matrix, where everything
done and everything perceived is virtual.