[opendtv] TVTechnology: SMPTE 2014: Aitken—Broadcast Must Be More Than TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:22:49 -0400

http://www.tvtechnology.com/news/0086/smpte--aitken%e2%80%94broadcast-must-be-more-than-tv-/272968

TVTechnology: SMPTE 2014: Aitken—Broadcast Must Be More Than TV

HOLLYWOOD—The “broadcast” in Sinclair Broadcast Group is morphing into
something more than TV. It has to, according to Mark Aitken, SBG’s vice
president of Advanced Technology. Aitken delivered a keynote at this year’s
SMPTE conference in the heart of Hollywood.

“We don’t see ourselves simply as televisioners,” he said of SBG. “We see
ourselves as having a platform to provide services, and one of those services
is television.”

Aitken noted how the technical side of broadcasting is occupied with 4K,
high-dynamic range, frame rates and so forth, while regulatory issues and
business objectives are treated as entirely separate matters. Yet those very
issues are determining the industry’s future, and they are legion, he said.
Ownership limits, public inspection file rules, Aereo, the CALM Act, closed
captioning, EAS, indecency, the incentive auction, tower and antenna issues,
white spaces, the UHF discount… the list goes on.

“Engineers believe the technology is driving the business,” he said. “We as
engineers are not taking a broad look at the surroundings in which we live, and
taking the initiative to do the kinds of things to determine where broadcasting
is going. …4K, HDR, immersive sound… we have all these beautiful potential
entrapments of a consumer. But without understanding the business objective,
there’s little to be gained.”

Aitken said broadcasters are in a state of war.

“War has been declared. Google has declared war on the TV ad industry. If your
competitors believe they’re engaged in war with us; if we don’t acknowledge
that, we’re going to lose. They are decidedly after what we’ve got… viewers,
advertisers, content… they after making lots of money.

“You see a massive migration of content to the Internet; to the wireless
industry. If you’re a content producer, you’re doing the right thing, looking
for a distribution platform that generates the most revenue.

“I ask… why is it not a status quo that content isn’t coming to broadcasting?
We exist as islands. We don’t function as an industry. The broadcast industry
really has to unite, at least in a virtual sense. So what can we do to become a
viable competitor in the marketplace?”

Ad dollars are leaving local broadcasting, he said, not at a rate where
broadcasting will die in 10 years, but will be in bad shape.

“This is a reversible trend,” he said, but one that requires an immediate
response. The wireless guys are ramping up LTE-broadcast. (See “Verizon’s
Wireless Network ‘Ready’ for LTE Multicast”)

Phone companies’ appetite for TV is not entirely new. They’ve been after the
business for years. Aitken recalled how, in 2007, he went to a poker game
fundraiser held by the late Alaska senator, Ted Stevens.

“There were four or five tables. I was one of the last people to walk in. I got
to my table, introduced myself. This young kid looked at me and said, ‘it’s
great to have another broadcaster here.’ I said, ‘who do you work for?’ He
said, ‘Verizon.’”

LTE-broadcast evolved without the type of standards constraints that hold back
broadcasting, he said.

“Today, the standard does not have the flexibility to do multiple things, which
is why we find ourselves developing ATSC 3.0. Broadcasters have been slow to
the table to identify what their wants and needs are. The goal of many is the
same as it was in 1994 when ATSC was being deployed. Those managers doing
nothing but selling spots, who view revenues in a very small silo, don’t look
at those opportunities because they don’t exist for them.”

One new opportunity looming large is the incentive auction. Sinclair and the
National Association of Broadcasters are challenging the Federal Communications
Commission’s Incentive Auction Report and Order on the grounds that it violates
congressional intent.

“We believe broadcasting is being marched, quite literally, to the cliff,” he
said.

The spectrum auction legislation contains the concept of “flex-use,” which is
left #ff0000. For Sinclair, it opened the door to experiment with a new
transmission standard. Sinclair subsidiary One Media is launching the group’s
next-generation transmission  platform in Austin, Texas, next month.

“As broadcasters, there’s a growing voice saying we need the same opportunity
as wireless providers, instead of being locked into doing just one thing,” he
said. “The challenge is thinking about what broadcasting could be.”

Sinclair’s answer—and it has been for years—is mobile. Particularly the
mobile-connected tablet. Aitken called it “the consumptive device of the
future.”

“In 1999, 2000, we worked with Nokia. We based the DVB-T standard on high-arc
modulation. We had three tablets. They like several bricks bolted together.
They were capable of receiving mobile television. This industry did not believe
there was an opportunity in mobile 15 years ago.”

Tablet computers are now expected to generate more mobile data traffic in 2017
than the entire global mobile market in 2012.

When the Advanced Television Systems Committee did finally issue a mobile
standard, it fell flat. Aitken more or less declared it dead.

“The failure of ATSC mobile was a failure on the part of not all broadcasters
embracing it as an opportunity,” he said. “It was a massive failure because an
industry did not put its will behind it. And because there was not a uniform
roll-out, and no tough discussions with rights holders, consumers never had the
opportunity to see it, and device makers never had the incentive to build
devices.”

There is still an opportunity in mobile data offload, he said.

“There is real money in the broadcast distribution in data. There is a reason
for LTE-broadcast. The ‘Internet of Things’ is all about the mass distribution
of data to specific devices, measured today in billions of dollars. All of
these devices are looking to take on more data. Broadcasting is a platform that
could uniquely provide that,” he said. “It is clear, because of the consumption
of video on mobile devices, that there is an overloading of networks. It’s not
a spectrum issue. We could go to the base of what’s being consumed, pull out
that data, and it could be broadcast.

“Solving the business, technical and political challenges to build the
next-generation mobile video Internet, wired and wireless, is the greatest
business opportunity in the broadcast, communications and media industry
today,” he said. “But we need a business alignment among broadcasters that
allow our assets to be seen as a service; the next-gen broadcast
platform-as-a-service.”

“We have an opportunity, uniquely at this time, for broadcasting to reinvent
itself. It’s not just about broadcast television, but as a purveyor of uniquely
untold bits to all types of devices.”