[opendtv] Re: TVTechnology: HPA 2015: OTT, HDR, 4K and Last Rites for 4:3

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 03:28:31 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> But analog cable systems assume
> dumb receivers, so the only option that works for every legacy TV
> is letter boxing into 4:3.

So, what the explanation SHOULD have been is that cable systems still need to
have an analog version of the content, for old dumb analog TVs? Saying SD
instead of "analog" is very misleading. The digital versions, SD or HD,
virtually never need to be 4:3 anymore, if 90 percent of households have 16:9
sets anyway.

Any DTV viewer watching SD material has no reason to be viewing it as 4:3
anymore. Even if he's viewing it on an old CRT via STB, at the very worst, the
STB can pan and scan. Or of course, letterbox.

> I'm sure you remember the debates about moving to letterboxed
> 16:9 within a 4:3 SD feed. The ITU 601 standard and MPEG-2 MP@ML
> supported this with 16:9 squeezed into 4:3, which requires the
> receiver to stretch it out.

Not sure how this is relevant. However the wide screen presentation is
restored, digital SD material need not be shot as 4:3, or even protected for
4:3, JUST BECAUSE it's SD. The comment from CBS was about shooting the frame,
protecting the content for eventual 4:3 viewing, not about transmitting it
anamorphic vs postage stamp.

Anyway, I've said this before, as far as I'm concerned, broadcasters should
transmit all of their SD as anamorphic squeeze 16:9 these days. If the content
happens to be an old 4:3 movie or TV show, just pillarbox it. For digital
receivers, that works just fine. And wouldn't you know it, MHz Networks
actually started doing just that, some time ago now. I wrote them to thanks
them.